Sunday, July 22, 2012

Moving Day

Our Sweet Ride
Sorry about the lack of new posts but we moved a few weeks ago. We only moved around the corner but it was still a huge ordeal. It had been over 5 years since our last move so we had a lot of forgotten junk to discard and stuff to organize. It literally took me a month to get everything cleaned out and sorted.

The kids handled all the packing fairly well. Dallin had the hardest time with it. He kept going into his room and looking in all his cupboards and drawers, showing me what I hadn't packed yet as if to say, "Mom, don't forget these!" Chloe decided an empty tub would be a good place to spend the afternoon.

Chloe in her tub.


Maya is old enough that she could help me do some packing. I didn't realize that I needed to give some pre-packing instructions. I picked up a very large, very light box that she had packed and opened it up. Inside the box was one bag of wall hooks. :)



Maya's box of wall hooks.

Dallin's favorite thing was the moving van. He kept running outside to check it out. He was thrilled to pieces when he got to ride in it with Todd. We took him with us when we dropped the van off at the end of the day and he grinned from ear to ear when he saw rows and rows of moving vans! 

The first night we were in our new place Dallin took me over to the back door and tried to get me to "take him home" to our old place. Then I opened up the boxes of food and filled the pantry and after that he was totally fine. Once he knew he could eat all his fears seemed to go away. 

Anyone who has moved with multiple children knows what a horrendous experience it is, especially when you decide to save a few bucks and do everything yourself.  But, lets's be real, I didn't do it all myself. I had some AMAZING people help me. My mother and father-in-law helped us all day, don't know what I would do without them. My brother and his wife also helped and they stayed all day and into the evening while Todd and I unpacked as fast as we could. My sweet sister-in-law took care of Ava all day even though she was 9 months pregnant. I took this shot of her rocking my sweet girl while I packed up the kitchen. I couldn't thank them enough for all they did!



Sweet Aunt Rosie and Ava


A bunch of guys from our ward also came and lent us their muscle power. I couldn't watch when they dissambled my new refrigerator and squeezed into the new kitchen with only a hair of space to spare. They were so awesome I could kiss them (but their wives probably wouldn't appreciate that!).

We thought we might be able to take along the large storage cabinets in Dallin's room if we took them through the upstairs master bedroom window. It was comical and scary to watch. My father-in-law sat in the second-story window trying to ease one out while Todd held on to him so he wouldn't fall out! My brother and a couple of the guys tried to catch it below. It almost worked until the cupboard got stuck - we finally realized it was not at all worth the $100 it would cost to buy a new one. In the end, the cupboards got dismantled and everyone's life was spared. I clipped a little video of it.

It was a crazy, hard day. It's been a crazy, hard month. But we're finally starting to feel settled in. We love our new place. It's so much bigger and brighter and it has a garage! The only drawback is that our new place is actually our good friends' old place. We miss them a lot and wish they still lived close. We have fun thinking about what they did when they lived here.

Here's to a new chapter at 30 Silkleaf!

Our New Place



3 comments:

Michelle said...

OH how I hate moving. WIsh we lived closer so we could have helped out. I need to come see it, although I've lived in my house for two years and I don't think you've ever seen it! haha:)

Mom said...

Bet you are glad that is over!

Snow Family said...

We need to come see it!