Every Tuesday is park day. While the older girls go to their music lessons, I take Dallin and Ava to the park. Months ago we met a sweet little brood of siblings ages 1, 3, and 5. They go to the park every Tuesday too- with their aunt who doesn't speak English. The oldest of the children is a cute little girl named Olivia.
Olivia is full of questions. She spends most of the time I am there following me around asking me things. "Is it OK if I talk to you?" "Am I bothering you?" "What is that snack you gave to Ava?" "Is that Ava's doll?" "Does Ava like dolls?" "Why doesn't Ava like it when I hug her?" etc. She used to mostly ask me questions about Ava but then she got curious about Dallin. Our first conversation about him went something like this:
"Is that your son?" she asked me.
"Yes." I nodded.
"How old is he?"
"He's 12."
"Oh. He's a big boy. Bigger than me."
"Yes, he is."
"How come he makes that humming sound when he swings?"
"It's the sound he makes when he is happy."
"Doesn't he know how to talk?"
"Doesn't he know how to talk?"
"He says a few words. But mostly, no, he doesn't talk."
"Why not?"
"Because Dallin has something called Autism that makes it hard for him to do some things."
"Is it like being sick?"
"Yes. It's kind of like being sick. But you can't get sick from him. His body just doesn't work like it should."
"How did he get Autism?"
"I don't know."
"Does the doctor know?"
"No. Lots of little boys and girls have autism."
"Does another Mom know why they get autism?"
"No. No one knows why."
"How come?"
"No one has figured it out yet."
"Well, someone should find out!"
"You're right, Olivia, someone should definitely find out."
So many times the logic of children makes more sense than the logic of adults. Olivia couldn't be more right. It is ridiculous that we don't know what causes autism. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't know by now. But there are powerful people, in powerful positions with more money than I can imagine who don't want us to know why autism has plagued this generation. There is no other excuse for our ignorance.
As Autism Awareness month closes, I leave my prayers open. That someday the general public will rally around the families of children with autism. That they will speak loud enough that they are heard. That enough will be enough. That open, honest, transparency will prevail. That we will have the answers to Olivia's questions.

No comments:
Post a Comment