Sunday, June 3, 2012

Memorial Day

For Memorial Day this year the kids decided that they wanted to forego their usual swimming and playing and pay respects to our nation's soliders. We went to Memory Park in Brea to leave flowers on my Grandpa Nicksic's grave. He was a WW2 veteran. I haven't been to that cemetary since my Grandma's funeral, when I was 16.  It was really nice to have all the memories I have of them so close to the surface.

I wasn't sure how the kids would feel about it. I was surprised when Chloe told me it was one of the funnest things she's ever done and wants to do it every Memorial Day. Maya had a particularly spiritual experience as she sat next to my Grandma's name; she's never met her but she is named after her. 

Ava enjoyed being out in the wind. Dallin was happily irreverant. I was a little mortified when I looked over and saw him hopping from headstone to headstone. Even though stepping on them is a sign of disrespect I am sure the deceased forgave him.

It was a beautiful day and I'm so glad we went. We might just make it a family tradition.












We also went to the Gratitude and Honor Memorial in Irvine's Northwood. This memorial honors the soldiers that have fought and died in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom (the wars that we are currently fighting). Every single soldier who gave his life is listed and it is updated frequently. It was a beautiful memorial and a good one for the kids to see since it involves the wars that are going on during their lives.








2 comments:

Snow Family said...

That looks great. We have been to Bryan's grandpas grave but now we need to do my grandpas.

Mom said...

Again, I'm so glad you had such a good day doing worthwhile, memorable things.